October 27 - November 5, 2023
ten-days trip • plane • jeeps
In the area of the former volcanoes and the sea now stretches the desert. Quite different from the others, because at every turn many fascinating secrets reveal themselves, if only you know them and are able to see them. How is it possible to climb into a real karst cave in the middle of the desert, collect shells and enjoy warm water springs? Join us on an adventurous journey as we uncover secrets in the discovery of desert treasures that will surely not leave you indifferent.
Day 1: DEPARTURE TO EGYPT
Departure from Ljubljana and night flight via Istanbul to Cairo, where we will arrive in the early morning hours of the next day.
Day 2: WATER WEALTH
Upon arrival in Cairo, visa issuance and drive to Bahariya Oasis, where we first rest in a nearby camp. In the afternoon we go swimming in the hot springs and in the evening we visit the Pyramid Mountain and the salt lake. In addition to the Pyramid, we will learn about some of the geological sights of Bahariya Oasis and learn about the remains of dinosaurs that lived here about 100 million years ago and whose remains were found in this very area. At the salt lake, in the setting sun, we will learn the reasons for its formation and find out why this lake is salty, when there are many cold and warm springs with unsalted drinking water in the immediate vicinity. Dinner and overnight at Bahariya Oasis hotel.
Day 3 - 6: BLACK, CHRYSTAL, WHITE AND WEST DESERT
In the morning, after breakfast, we will set out on a four-day hike through the White and Black Deserts, where we will get to know the variety of geological, geomorphological, botanical, hydrological, mineralogical and paleontological features. We will get acquainted with the former karst and visit the karst cave, water sources known since ancient times that enabled the settlement of the desert, we will look for fossilized remains of former trees and shells of the former sea. We will see different sculptures and let our imagination run wild among the unusual erosion chalk formations, we will enjoy real desert dunes, try to find the most beautifully formed iron mineral pyrite and find out how fertile the soil under us is when it comes into contact with water. We will spend the night in tents, food, drink and comfort will be provided by an experienced team of locals.
Day 7: BAHARIYA
After breakfast we return to Bahariya, where we visit two ancient tombs with typical Egyptian paintings and learn about the Egyptian pantheon. Afterwards, we will visit the museum where just a few of the thousands of golden mummies discovered in Bahariya are on display, representing one of the richest finds of ancient Egypt. In the afternoon you will have some time to stroll through the local stores and stalls. Towards evening we will drive to Fayoum Oasis where you will have dinner and stay overnight in a local hotel.
Day 8 and 9: FAYOUM OASIS
We will spend two days in Fayoum exploring Wadi Rayan National Park, where fossil remains of the ancestors of today's whales (UNESCO) and many fossil remains of other marine organisms are also found in Wadi Hitan. In the village of Tunis we will learn about the extremely famous and appreciated local ceramics and learn about the rich cultural tradition that mixes the influences of ancient Egypt, Greek and Roman antiquity, Christianity and Islam. We will stay in a hotel in the Fayoum Oasis.
Day 10: RETURNING HOME
Early departure from the hotel to Cairo airport. Flight Cairo - Istanbul, Istanbul - Ljubljana. We arrive at Brnik airport in the evening.
Author of the program and photos: © Janja Benedik, 2022.
Organizer and provider of the program: © naTOURa, Janja Benedik s. p. in cooperation with Mostafa Safari Tours, 2022-23.
Price per person:
- 6-7 oseb: 1.540,00 € + 510,00 € za letalsko karto,
- 8-9 oseb: 1.425,00 € + 510,00 € za letalsko karto,
- 10-12 oseb: 1.290,00 € + 510,00 € za letalsko karto,,
- 13-14 oseb: 1.210,00 € + 510,00 € za letalsko karto..
The price includes:
- air transport on the route Brnik - Istanbul - Cairo, Cairo - Istanbul - Brnik with all additional expenses,
- 3 x nights in a hotel (full board), 4 x nights in tents (tent rental, sleeping mats and, if desired, sleeping bags included in the price),
- transfer by minibus on the route Cairo - Bahariya, Fayoun - Cairo, transport by minibus along the Bawiti,
- 4 x 4 vehicle rental (4 days in the desert and 2 days in Fayoum) with the cost of gasoline and driver;
- hire a cook for the desert,
- food (full board, 3 meals per day) and water,
- all entrance fees according to the program (White Desert, Museum and Tombs in Bawiti, Wadi Hitan, ...),
- Egypt visa,
- the guided tour by a local Bedouin guide and a Slovenian guide with a professional explanation focused on the geology and biology of the area visited,
- costs of travel preparation and organization.
Not included in a price:
- additional food and drink,
- additional entrance fees for all tours that are not part of the program;
- anything not specifically stated,
- possible tips for guides and local drivers.
There are no surcharges.
Surcharge on request:
- during their stay in Egypt, passengers are not covered by special health insurance, nor are their property or any kind of damage insured (personal injury, theft, car accidents, kidnapping, terrorist attacks, civil unrest, natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, floods, landslides, ...) - the insurance is concluded by each traveler himself through an agency or directly with the insurance company;
- we are not responsible if in case of natural disasters, such as earthquakes, fires, floods, landslides, ... the travel program must be changed,
- we are not responsible for accidents or injuries during trekking and their consequences,
- in the event of an increase in the price of gasoline, hotels, airline tickets or other prices, the price of the arrangement may increase,
- we are not responsible for cancellations, delays or changes of flights of airlines and their consequences (higher costs, non-implementation of the entire programme),
- if the airline cancels the flight and it is taken over by another airline, we will not cover any additional costs,
- we do not assume the consequences of loss of luggage during air transport, all possible costs are borne by the passenger.
- special medical care (e.g. vaccination) is not required before departure.
The currently valid conditions for entry into Egypt can be found at the following link https://www.visa-egypt.com/articles/travel-restrictions.
If you want us to take out one of the tourist insurances for you at Zavarovalnica Triglav, d. d., please fill in the consent form by clicking on the link below:
You can learn more about the individual insurances under the following link https://natoura.si/turisticno-zavarovanje/.
The oasis of Bahariya is located about 500 km west of Cairo, and in it and its surroundings we find extremely interesting evidence of the eventful geological history of this area, which was transformed from a former sea into a desert. The consequences of past geological processes are visible at every turn, but the sites are unknown to many and can only be discovered with the help of experienced local guides deep in the desert, where few tourists venture. We will also discover the ancient human presence at these sites, looking for petroglyphs - drawings carved into rocks depicting hunting animals - and traces of extraordinary wealth from the time of the Egyptian dynasties and antiquity, which for many are the exact opposite of what we imagine about life in deserts then and now. Of course, a varied program in a rather wild environment requires good preparation and organization, because you need a kitchen with all the equipment, tents, sleeping bags, firewood, water, food, enough gasoline, ... all according to the principle: nothing should surprise us. Therefore, the price of the arrangement looks high, but in fact it is realistic, considering the cost of implementation and payment of the locals, who always carefully prepare for a trip through the desert, leaving nothing to chance and at the same time giving the trip a unique charm with their hospitality and cheerfulness.